Europa-List: Re: Landing mishap - asking for advise

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Landing mishap - asking for advise
From: zwakie <mz@cariama.nl>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 11:20:33

Thanks David for the informative and well-written documentation that you sent to
me directly. From it I learned that a high twist will not bring me significant
improvements in terms of performance or fuel flow, and that it will have a
slight negative impact on take-off performance.

That leaves (only?) one benefit of a high-twist propellor for my ship: improved
cooling. Since I already decided to fight my (small) cooling issues with an
oil-water
exchanger from Laminowa, I do not (yet) see the point of using a high-twist
propellor on my airplane.

frans@privatepilots.nl wrote:
> ONLY if you are the first one in Europe to have that specific aircraft type /
engine / prop combination. If someone (for example in the UK) has already a
noise
certificate for that combination you can just copy the noise certificate.

That is true PROVIDED you can submit a detailled noise-measuring report to go
along
with the noise-cert. The Noise Certificate by itself will be insufficient
to copy it (been there, done it when I moved my plane from the UK to Dutch
register)

Having read more about propellers over the weekend, I am now inclined to stick
with Arplast PV50... (I wish it had some leading-edge protection, but that's
another
discussion)

frans@privatepilots.nl wrote:
> Maybe some day I will find myself in a situation where I need help, and some
fellow Europa flyer will help me out...

I hope you will never find yourselves in such a position, but give me a call if
you do :)

frans@privatepilots.nl wrote:
> It is best to have someone experienced in this to take a look at it, and
> determine
whether this will be a structural or cosmetic repair.

My guess is it will be a cosmetic repair given the position where it pierced,
but
I definitely want want to make sure by asking an expert. Frans, do you know
anyone, perhaps yourself?

frans@privatepilots.nl wrote:
> The landing gear frame is similar to the engine mount frame. I would start by
checking the geometry of the propeller flange as described in the Europa manual.
If this is still ok then it is unlikely something has bent.

Unlikely, but not impossible, right? At least, that's what I read from Bud's
response
("Just a heads up, normally the gear frame gets bent and we have to look
at the mounting of the frame to the fuselage also").
Still, measuring the geometry seems like a sensible good first step... (I
already
pulled the procedure for this from the build manual)

budyerly@msn.com wrote:
> I'm putting together a bit of info at the shop here in Florida and will email
direct to you a FACTORY suggested inspection sequence for the structures, what
you should look for in additional damage inspections, and once you have the
inspections complete will assist in a repair method to include layup schedules
and materials to make it good as new.

That would be really helpfull, thanks Bud!

budyerly@msn.com wrote:
> Removal of the engine, I am afraid, is mandatory to do a proper inspection.

Not the thing I would like to hear, but somehow I knew this to be the case.
Certainly
since I am not willing to cut corners...

budyerly@msn.com wrote:
> I'll send a questionnaire and request photos of you soon.

Sure, thanks!

--------
Marcel
(Europa Classic Tri-Gear PH-MZW)