Re: Europa-List: Rotax 912ULS and VP prop required

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Rotax 912ULS and VP prop required
From: Robert Borger <rlborger@mac.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 22:25:08

William,

I can't comment directly on the 912ULS, but my 914 is a noticeably better
performer
with the Airmaster C/S prop.  I installed a ground adjustable Warp Drive
prop for a couple flights.  It worked well enough but not like the Airmaster.
It was set up for takeoff performance (maybe a bit under-pitched even).
Acceleration,
takeoff distance and initial climb were comparable to the Airmaster.
But cruise speed was only about 115-120 kts.  The Airmaster would get me about
140 kts cruise.  With the G/A prop you get either good takeoff performance
and loose speed and economy or good speed and economy with less takeoff
performance.
Or you can go compromise.  But you can't get the best takeoff AND cruise
performance as you can with a C/S prop.  But the C/S prop is heavier, more
complex and a lot more expensive.  So, you pays your money and takes your
chances.

Blue skies & tailwinds,
Bob Borger
Europa XS Tri, Rotax 914, Airmaster C/S Prop.
Little Toot Sport Biplane, Lycoming Thunderbolt AEIO-320 EXP
3705 Lynchburg Dr.
Corinth, TX  76208-5331
Cel: 817-992-1117
rlborger@mac.com