Re: Europa-List: Thin Stainless Steel

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Thin Stainless Steel
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2012 11:01:39
Paul,
For all the Europa needs here in the US, Aircraft Spruce carries what is
necessary.
Firewall:
For the Trigear or mono I use the .016 thickness stainless steel and a
Whitney punch to make the holes.  At .016 it can be drilled but is hard
on the bits.
For the firewall in Trigear which goes behind the gear frame, I do not
use hard stainless sheet, I use the firewall 2000 kit.  This is a
sandwich material of real stainless foil, firberfax (insulation and
fireproof material to replace asbestos) and on the other side a thin
aluminum foil.  The gray sealant and adhesive works great.

Do not use aluminum foil insulation material sold in home improvement
stores as from experience it bursts into flame on direct contact with
fire.  It burns really well after the flame is removed.

Plate  Damage to a wing or fuselage hardpoint; 1/8 inch 6061 T-6 is
fine.  It's a bit harder to drill than 2024.  But it doesn't corrode.

Wing Brackets; if I have to custom make a set I use again the 1/8 inch
6061T-6.

Regards,
Bud