Re: Europa-List: Large birds?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Large birds?
From: David Joyce <davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2012 19:41:40

William, I have met lots of buzzards and the occasional
peregrine in thermals in my gliding days, when I would
have been doing something like 50 kts, and they have
generally turned and dived without me needing to change my
course. However approaching a large bird at 130kts is a
different thing- I don't think their reflexes are geared
to other aerial things doing hat sort of speed, and feel
that they are likely to go downwards and that if I am
going to have a bird strike the underside of the plane is
the best place for it. They are also most unlikely to ne
able to match my climb rate. The few very large
vultures/eagles I have met in Spain have gone serenely on
their way without blinking, clearly assuming that every
thing else in the sky would naturally get out of heir way!
Regards, David Joyce