Re: Europa-List: tyre pressure

Subject: Re: Europa-List: tyre pressure
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 00:41:50
Guys,
Tyre Pressure has always been in section 7 of the operators handbook and
section 29T page 7 of the build manual.
I know, who reads that!

2 bar or 30 PSI.  I use 35 personally based on tire manufacturers
recommendation for the Michelin.  Air Hawk doesn't seem to give one so
stick with 35 all around.

Note that I also have very low wheel pants so the pressure is a bit more
than normal to keep my pants from draggin'...  My wheel does not show
below my pants and you can't get a standard wheel chock under it.  But
it does give a bit more speed.
More on that some other time...  12AY does 146 Knots with the new pants
vice 135 with the old pants at 5500/34 inches at 1000 MSL.  And it is a
trigear.  Of course three years ago I thought I had the slowest Europa
ever, but I found that my MP gauge was defective.  I changed wheel
pants, gear legs etc. then figured out it was the MP gauge.  Duh.   Gear
legs do make a difference as does lowering the wheel pants on speed.
But don't land on grass with my pants on a really soggy field unless you
want to do some repairs...  Ah the compromises we make.

I have a more than disgruntled customer who learned the hard way.   I
told him I was concerned about raising his pants to 4 inches high.  His
trigear only goes 130 at max cruise.  Not very spectacular...but he can
land on very rough strips...  Basically he has mud flaps not speed
fairings.  On the motor glider, I recommend the higher pants as it
doesn't mater as much with the VNE at 127 unless you are soaring and
going for efficiency.  The extra 100 pounds of the motor glider though
squishes that tire set a bit more.
Regards,
Bud