RE: Europa-List: Lack of power with water heated carb body mountings

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Lack of power with water heated carb body mountings
From: Terry Seaver terrys <terrys@cisco.com>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 10:25:00

Hi Juergen,

In our monowheel XS with Rotax 912S we use the Skydrive carb heaters.
We originally had them on all the time, but had some trouble with
restarting the engine about 15 minutes after shut down, so we installed
a water valve to allow turning off the water after landing, to keep the
carbs cooler on the taxi back to the hanger.
We did some climb testing on a hot day to see if there was any
difference in performance, heat on vs heat off.  There was no
difference, at least in our plane.

Regards,
Terry