RE: Europa-List: Lack of power with water heated carb body mountings

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Lack of power with water heated carb body mountings
From: Karl Heindl <kheindl@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2012 18:01:45

the first thing I would do is to eliminate the carb heat=2C simply by putti
ng a clamp on the hose leading to the carbs. But I don't think it will make
 any difference=2C the carburetor heat should not make a noticeable differe
nce.You are right about the stopcock=2C I hardly ever use carb heat.If ther
e is a loss of power or thrust=2C it will be for a different reason.
Karl

> Subject: Europa-List: Lack of power with water heated carb body mountings
> From: experimental@online.de
> Date: Sun=2C 20 May 2012 09:42:30 -0700
> To: europa-list@matronics.com
>

> Hello again=2C
>
> after eight months of modifying my classic I am back in the air again.
> My flight inspector said after he test flew the aircraft: "funny aircraft
 but be careful with your payload=2C it is absolutely not overpowered!"
> Well=2C I thought that impression you get when you are used to turboprops
=2C like he is.
> But today it was me who made the same painful experience.
> It is not so easy to realize the lack of with a CS prop but my europa now
 climbs solo as before with passenger and it seams the have all shortened t
he runways.
> After my last flight today I opened the cowling after half an hour on gro
und and even the top of the carbs have been that hot you could not leave yo
ur hand on them.
> Now it is clear for me: I need a stopcock to use the hot water only when
needed.
> But I wonder if it is only the heat that is responsible for the lack of p
ower
> or also the longer suction tube ( don't know the right English term).
> Has anybody made similar experiences.
> Tomorrow I have my test flight with the flight instructor but I will not
let him in before I have got it fixed.