Re: Europa-List: Door (mis)fit

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Door (mis)fit
From: Fred Klein <fklein@orcasonline.com>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 07:46:24

On May 17, 2012, at 3:28 AM, jglazener wrote:

> I am getting round to fitting the doors. As delivered, the stbd door
> fits nicely in the recess on the upper fuselage, with only the lugs
> needing trimming. The port door however has a gap between it and the
> recess at the front end. This gap is zero at the bottom and widens
> up to 4mm at the top.
>
> See:
> http://www.europaowners.org/main.php?g2_itemId=100176
>
> At first I assumed someone at the Europa factory had been
> overzealous in trimming the door, but measurements show that both
> doors are practically identical. The difference is in fact with the
> recess, with the port one being 4mm wider at the top than stbd.
> Since these things come out of a mould, I have to assume I am not
> the only one with this problem.

Jeroen,

If you ignore the location of the hinge tabs, how well does the door
fit within the entire door opening (i.e., at the front edge as well as
the rear curve)? If you can manage a reasonable gap all around, one
way to deal with it is to trim the hinge tabs as necessary. I had to
do some trimming of the hinge tabs to get a good overall fit; Many
builders have had to futz around with the hinge tabs and their rebates
in order for the hinges to work properly and maintain a uniform (say
2mm) gap around the hinges w/ the doors closed. I used some dry micro
filler to help achieve this.

Happy building !!

Fred