Re: Europa-List: Re: Fwd: Wind Map

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Fwd: Wind Map
From: Frans Veldman <frans@privatepilots.nl>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2012 10:16:40

On 04/09/2012 12:19 AM, Fred Klein wrote:

> Frans and Paul...after sending Frans' post to a friend, I received the
> following response:
>
>> as to privacy concerns, at least your Europa pal doesn't have a NSA in
>> nowhere Utah hoovering up everything; who cares about Google? If you
>> want the old world and some fantasy of privacy, don't use: the phone,
>> the internet, credit cards, checks etc. and don't go anywhere in
>> public as there will be security cameras and clowns with cell phone
>> cameras everywhere. Nice life, huh?

I'm sure your friend isn't a security expert. The danger isn't in the
isolated pieces of data. I don't care if a picture of my house is on
some pal's cell phone camera while he was photographing a rare butterfly
on my fence, without knowing who the owner is. I also don't care that
someone observed me googling on liver diseases (for a family member).
But what I do care about is the collection of the *total set* of data. A
pictures of my name, together with my name, my occupation, my annual
income, my health, my personal interests, my agenda and my vacation
scheme, and the type of websites I tend to visit.
This total data set can be used for anything by creative minds. Usually
these things are bad.

Frans