Re: Europa-List: Re: post curing

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: post curing
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 12:08:02
Ron, and everyone so kind to share your setups.
Just keeping the work in the un-airconditioned shop during cure works
well for me during the Florida summers.  The barn gets 115 degrees in
the summer.

I share the concern of many of you on post curing.  Especially now that
Gurit Manufacturing no longer supplies Ampreg 20, and Europa is now
forced into using Ampreg 21 exclusively in the kits.  This is a great
laminating resin, it is more difficult to cure at room temp of 18C or
about 65 degrees with all but the fast hardener and the time to pull
---From the mold or pull the peel ply is at least 16-20 hours, increasing
shop cure time...  Gurit recommends a 50C or 122F cure for 16 hours
before de-molding, which is a long time..

I am working with Dave Goddard and Jon Pool at the Europa center to
explore a new chapter on heat curing the 21.  In the European and
northern markets, you may find the 21 cures way too slow and the MSDS
and instructions from Gurit require a well above room temperature post
cure to allow sanding and handling the next day.  I have no alternatives
for those of you in Europe.  See the the Gurit instructions:
http://www.gurit.com/files/documents/ampreg-21v7pdf.pdf<http://www.gurit.
com/files/documents/ampreg-21v7pdf.pdf>

As many of you know I use Aeropoxy (similar to Ampreg 20) for my
laminations as it cures at 75F in modest humidity and is sandable in 12
hours.  So overnight post cure is simply: set the thermostat in the shop
and go home.  This is not the case everywhere of course, but very easy
to achieve...

I'll let you all know what we come up with.
Glad to hear and see your post cure ideas.  I have used an old dryer
with thermostat but alas the old girl gave out and I need to build a new
post cure heater.
Regards,
Bud Yerly
Europa Tech Support