Re: Re : Europa-List: Vortex generators

Subject: Re: Re : Europa-List: Vortex generators
From: Frans Veldman <frans@privatepilots.nl>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 11:55:30

On 02/28/2012 09:05 AM, NEEL Jean Philippe wrote:
> Salut Michel
> Michel Jambon a je crois des saumons allongs et equips de mini winglets

???? Please keep it in Enlish, like we Duchmen and Germans do in this
forum. If you fancy the privacy of your own tongue, you'd better use
private email.

Be careful with vortex generators and winglets (I recognized the word
"winglets" so I assume someone is considering this). The Europa wing is
a modern design that doesn't need these "improvements". Vortex
generators might reduce the stall speed but come with a price like a
lower top speed and more drag. If you want this, maybe the concept of
the Europa doesn't fit too well and you'd better be looking for a
pipercub or something like that.
Winglets are useless on the Europa and only increase drag. The wing tips
of the Europa do not provide much lift and can be considered as open
folded (invisible) winglets. There is not much air at the wing tips that
wants to switch side, so vertical winglets serve no purpose here but
only increase frontal area and skin drag.

The Europa wings are designed by Don Dykins and well thought out, there
is no improvement possible without introducing some compromises.

Frans