Re: Europa-List: Smooth Prime

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Smooth Prime
From: Fred Klein <fklein@orcasonline.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 07:42:02

On Feb 20, 2012, at 10:21 PM, William McClellan wrote:

> Probably the best answer is, "it depends".  Any of your pre-molded
> parts that have the green/tan factory gelcoat also has some amount
> of mold release that has to be sanded off so it is safe to say you
> should sand the whole plane surface and apply your primer.  It might
> be a little picky but the gelcoat provides not structural benefit
> but does add weight.  It goes without saying, you can sand the
> gelcoat but not any of the thin layer of glass layup.  What ever
> filler you used first, maybe Superfil, is the rough fill, likely
> with many pin holes.

Bill...thanks for your detailed response.

I agree w/ you about removing most of the gelcoat...carefully...and
yes, I used Superfil, and yes, I have my share of pin holes. John
Lawton is a fan of "3M flowable finishing putty" for taking care of
pinholes. BTW, did you try any of the "Prep Wipe" rather than Acetone
to clean surfaces prior to applying the Smooth Prime?

Fred