Re: Europa-List: Re : Lightning Strike

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re : Lightning Strike
From: K BURNS <kjburns@btinternet.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 00:19:51
Meet the guys that had to bail out of the K 21 Glider :-=0A-=0Ahttp://www
.youtube.com/watch?v=HeLl_Clxf1g=0A =0A=0A_______________________________
_=0A From: John Wigney <johnwigney@windstream.net>=0ATo: martflynut@aol.com
; Europa-List <europa-list@matronics.com> =0ASent: Tuesday, 14 February 201
2, 15:52=0ASubject: Europa-List: Re : Lightning Strike=0A  =0A=0AHi Martin,
=0A=0AYou may have heard this before but for small planes, the conventional
 wisdom in the US is to stay a minimum of 20 miles from a thunderstorm. Thi
s might seem a long way but I am pretty sure it was developed at the school
 of hard knocks.=0A=0AIn poor weather afew years ago in Arkansas, I inadver
tently strayed much closer and was startled with a large lightning bolt muc
h too close for comfort. Once is enough; I try not to repeat that. =0A=0ACh
eers, John=0AN262WF, mono XS, 912S=0AMooresville, North Carolina=0A=0A=0A
=0A=0A________________________________=0A =0ASubject: Europa-List: Lightnin
g Strike=0AFrom: "Martin Olliver" <martflynut@aol.com> Hi All. Has anyone e
xperienced a lightning strike in a Europa? If not what is the=0Aperceived r
esult of such a strike? A few years ago in the south of England=0Aa plastic
 glider was struck and broke up in flight both occupants survived as=0Apara
chutes were deployed. A luxury I am unable to have due to size issues (not
=0Asaying I am fat just well built!) My concern with the Europa is the lack
 of bonding=0Abetween components and conductors to ensure components don't
explode apart,=0Aas happened with the glider. If as I suspect we all take a
 risk with this issue has any one considered any=0Apossible remedial action
==