Europa-List: Re : Lightning Strike

Subject: Europa-List: Re : Lightning Strike
From: John Wigney <johnwigney@windstream.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 10:52:16
Hi Martin,

You may have heard this before but for small planes, the conventional
wisdom in the US is to stay a minimum of 20 miles from a thunderstorm.
This might seem a long way but I am pretty sure it was developed at the
school of hard knocks.

In poor weather afew years ago in Arkansas, I inadvertently strayed much
closer and was startled with a large lightning bolt much too close for
comfort. Once is enough; I try not to repeat that.

Cheers, John
N262WF, mono XS, 912S
Mooresville, North Carolina

Subject: Europa-List: Lightning Strike
From: "Martin Olliver"<martflynut@aol.com>

Hi All. Has anyone experienced a lightning strike in a Europa? If not what is
the
perceived result of such a strike? A few years ago in the south of England
a plastic glider was struck and broke up in flight both occupants survived as
parachutes were deployed. A luxury I am unable to have due to size issues (not
saying I am fat just well built!) My concern with the Europa is the lack of
bonding
between components and conductors to ensure components don't explode apart,
as happened with the glider.
  If as I suspect we all take a risk with this issue has any one considered any
possible remedial action to improve the situation?
Martin.