Europa-List: Pip-pins in the Europa´s doors - more safety or not? (earli

Subject: Europa-List: Pip-pins in the Europa´s doors - more safety or not? (earlier: d
From: Raimo Toivio <raimo.toivio@rwm.fi>
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2012 00:15:35
Tim, Bruno and all who care about flight safety

This is an old threat and I am bit agonizing. But once more:

Sometimes we have to use our brains over The Rules. That is why we fly
experimentals. Safety over The Rules. The rules follow sooner or later
experimental wisdom.

***

Which case is more probable:

Every single Europa flight and any time of the flight you or your
passenger may open the door handle by accident, because of careless
manners, madness, illness, naivety, childishness or because she/he is a
child
or
if once in a lifetime happens an emergency on the ground or emergency
landing where you are still and well alive, still right side up but
cannot open the door and people (there are people!) outside are not able
to broke that thinniest plexiglass and the plane is burning and you will
die because of that door pip-pin a=C2=B4la me.
Make your choise.
Europa Aircraft have noticed that risk and in the BM they call the
builder to make a guard to prevent unintended door opening during the
flight. I went only a bit further and add also pip-pins. It was so easy
to imagine, that my sleeve pick-up the lever and soon the door is open,
separateing, hitting to the rudder/fin and almost killing them, air flow
is awful, co-pilot is screaming because she understand this is the
final, all the papers are flown away and an assymmetric drag is almost
impossible to handle, thinking same time shoud I open also the other
door to balance the plane and trying because of a strong drag to make an
emergency landing with full power. No =93 I did not want to
experience this and added pip-pins to both doors. Amen.
BTW in my POH /emergency situ list there is a line =9Cbefore
emergency landing take the door pip-pins out=9D. Happy now?
I used to take them away before every landing but refuced later because
understood it is a risk itself (to pull out the pip-pins during the
flight).
That would not be allowed on a certified aircraft.
Maybe so, but so what?
Typical certified planes are all metal and have small windows. If locked
when emergency, it is a difficult task to take bodies out. The doors are
also not easily openable during the flight (hinged fore).  No reason to
lock or for pip-pins.
Our Europa is plastic, has large windows with thin and weak plexi
=93 easy to broke and take bodies out very fluently. I will not
try but I am almost sure a normal man can open the door the bolts
engaged by his hands only. If he has any tool or a stone he can do it
surely. What more important =93 those doors would love to open
during the flight! Pip-pin is for every-flight-safety!
***
I well remember =93 once I tried to open the door of our Cessna
during cruise flight. With full power I opened it and got a cap 200-300
mm, no more.
BTW =93 Cessna 172N 1982 POH: before departure lock the doors!
There was a nice elbow rest in the door but it was imposible to use it
without locking the door. And Cessna is certified machine I assume!
***
You are free to lose your doors during flight. I hope you are happy then
and think: =9C hey I am a pilot who follows the rules anyway
=9C. RIP =93 he followed strictly every possible rules to
the final end.
***
LAA says no no for in-glight locked doors. Obviously pip-pins in
Europa=C2=B4s door are criminal also if used them in-flight? You boys in
UK have semi-experimentals if you have to follow so stupid rules. Judge
yourself.
Same time you are allowed by LAA to use those very dangerous original
auto type safety belts? And because they are allowed you use them. No
matter dangerous or not.
And you are pushed to try VNE every year...can it be true?
In Finland and I assume in most countries you =93 the builder -
are also the designer, who make the orders to The POH. Like using
pip-pins or what so ever.
Pilot is a God in the plane with full responsibilitet =93 nothing
is over her /him. Not even LAA.
Now I am sure I am soon invited to any LAA happening to talk about
flight safety. Or instead of that maybe they will send some Spitfires to
hunt me if I ever dare to fly over Channnel (which is my long time
goal).
***
A little story from near history: during my Cessna time I use to have a
smooth hammer in the plane. My habit was to show it to all my new
passengers. I promised to knock their head if necessary. I said also
that is ok according The International Flight Rules. Not true but they
all believed and behavioured very well. I never hit anybody during the
flight, believe me. That is strictly illegal but you can be sure I would
have done it if necessary. Safety over The Rules...

I have nothing to say any more.

Cheers, Raimo Toivio (sometimes happily outlawed for a total safety)

Europa XS Mono OH-XRT #417

Updated Europa flight hours /landings: 257,15 /466

Total flight time /landings: 872,45 /1423

37500 Lempaala
FINLAND

p +358-3-3753 777
f +358-3-3753 100