Europa-List: Re: Deformation of canopy - Rear Pull handles

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Deformation of canopy - Rear Pull handles
From: Roland <schmidtroland@web.de>
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2012 03:43:48

Gerry, Bruno and Raimo,

thanks for your thoughts and solutions (and photos of course). The first thing
I did was a special mark on my checklist. I think this won't happen again after
that horrible experience. But adding a backup like those switches might be a
very good idea as well.

Another lesson learned was that I should have reduced the speed since it would
have been much more easy to lock the door at 60 kts rather than 120 kts.

I'm not keen on taking the door out or giving my Europa to a repair shop but the
sound it makes when opening the door (after the resistance when opening it a
crack at the point when the edge of the door springs over the frame)doesn't
appear
very healthy to me. I located a towel between frame and door (and locked
it) to apply some pressure on the appropriate part of the door. I'll wait for
some days and see what happens.

Gerry, I also have those D-handels. They work well (when using them).

Raimo, how did you know? Temperatures were around -3C on the ground. That was
also
a flight to find out, if I would need a heating system for next winter. For
a local flight I don't think I'll need one but for a longer trip or even lower
temperatures it is worth thinking about it. I guess you have the best solutions
up north. Another factor to deal with is the low oil temperature of only
60C in cruise. In my opinion the best  would be a curtain at the air intake
controlled
---From the cockpit with a bowden cable. I think I'll create a new topic
when time comes.

Happy (and save) landings
Roland

Read this topic online here: