Europa-List: Re: VP prop, good idea? which one?

Subject: Europa-List: Re: VP prop, good idea? which one?
From: John Wighton <john@wighton.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 00:53:33

I would like David to validate his last comment - field length dependent upon
prop
pitch when stopped.

When the prop is turning:  The fine pitch gives lower residual thrust, hence
field
length is potentially decreased.  Feathering is not an option when engine
is working.

When the prop is stopped: There is a reduction in drag when the prop pitch is
set
feathered but this should not alter the field length used for landing?  Arguably
there is slightly lower drag when feathered, but this is negligible to the
total drag of the a/c in landing config.

Sorry to highjack the thread but this may be important for us with feathering
props
if in a forced landing situation - tinkering with the feathering switch may
not be the most efficient use of our time at that phase of the flight!

I have the Airmaster AP332 with AP200 controller setup and recommend it.

--------
John Wighton
Europa XS trigear G-IPOD

Read this topic online here: