Re: Europa-List: Diameter of 912 oil hose and oil hose type

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Diameter of 912 oil hose and oil hose type
From: Frans Veldman <frans@privatepilots.nl>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2011 09:47:00

On 11/28/2011 03:15 AM, Neville Eyre wrote:
> What I was [ poorly] trying to say is fancy Teflon / Stainless lines are
> not needed , and in fact difficult to hook up to the Rotax tank and
> motor connections with the Aeroquip / Earls type fittings and too stiff
> to run in the limited space easily.. [ and at 25 / $35 + an end !]

The link a gave earlier in this thread points to a hose that is light
weight, very flexible, and able to handle high temperatures.

Rubber hoses age and need to be replaced at least every five years, are
heavy, and not tolerant of very high temperatures. Normally you wouldn't
need the additional protection of a "fancy" hose, but what if you have a
crack in the exhaust and the resulting plume heats up the hose, or
something breaks loose in the engine compartment (I once had a factory
drip tray fall off during flight) and abbrases the oil hose?

I have been flying with the standard rubber hoses and barb fittings, but
when I took them off after one year I was glad I did so (one hose had
softened considerably and had became a bit sticky) and I feel much more
comfortable with my new "fancy" hoses. ;-)

Frans