Europa-List: RR2012 dates

Subject: Europa-List: RR2012 dates
From: Fred Klein <fklein@orcasonline.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 08:21:08

I asked my TN weather GURU, John Lawton, for his thoughts about dates
for a Rough River Europa gathering...he responded by writing:

> Usually, fall is the driest part of the year. Mid to late September
> is usually a good choice unless we have a storm (hurricane) come up
> out of the gulf. The local hang gliding club schedules their annual
> contest in late September and they usually have decent weather.
> Ordinarily, by, by mid September the daily convective T-storms are
> pretty much done for the season and the heavy, set in rains like
> we're seeing now that happen later in the fall haven't started yet.
> So, my first choice would be mid to late September. The next best
> time would be early to mid May. If you go much later than say, May
> 20th, we're starting to get into the convective season and the
> potential for getting rained out is considerably higher. It's also
> hotter and more humid after about May 20th or so. If you go earlier
> than say May 10th it can be windy.

If memory serves, we've been at the effect of one of those storms out
of the gulf before which reduced aircraft attendance to just 2 or 3...

Let's factor in weather when setting our date,

Fred