Europa-List: brake fluid

Subject: Europa-List: brake fluid
From: Rowland Carson <rowlandcarson@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 22:23:12

All the recent postings about appropriate fluids for the tri-gear finger-brakes
has prompted me to think about what is OK for the monowheel brake system. I'm
using the standard Europa parts. My journal shows that, when fitting it, I
cleaned
up & lubricated my master cylinder with Castrol Girling Universal SAE J1703
(which appears to be DOT3), and later I bought a can of DOT5.1 with which
to fill the system (when I get that far).

I note Neville's enthusiasm for the red aircraft grade brake fluid (what's the
proper name for that? Can I get it from LAS, for instance?) but also that
Europa-supplied
seals may be an unknown quantity with respect to what fluid they like.

Is there any way (other than soaking them in a sample of fluid) to determine
what
seals I've got in my master cylinder and in my brake calipers?

If the seals held in stock by Europa are not identifiable, where else could one
get seals properly identified as to type of fluid for (a) the monowheel master
cylinder and (b) the monowheel calipers?

in friendship

Rowland