Re: Europa-List: Re: Need an LAA mod for wing tip strobe - really

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Need an LAA mod for wing tip strobe - really
From: Europa <europa@pstewart.f2s.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2011 08:54:42

Graham

We fitted whelan wing tip nav/stobes driven by an Airworld strobe unit into
XS wings on G-GIDY. Unfortunately I don't have the paperwork for the mods
but it is PFA approved. Another of our group - Hugh Carmichael has the PFA
paperwork and I'm sure would be able to quote you the relevant approval
number.

Essentaially the mod involved running nav and stobe wires through the wing
ribs with BID reinforcement of the ribs. A splash molding of the whelan unit
base glassed to the wingtip such that the unit lay flush with the wingtip
skin. BID reinforcement of the wing tip. Wiring brought out through the root
rib to 5 pin connectors.

The Airworld unit is mounted on the rear of the baggage bay bulkhead and
powered through a suitable fuse ands 3 position switch(off/stobes/nav &
stobe).

Regards

Paul