Re: Europa-List: can one use 'glass' micro for filler??

Subject: Re: Europa-List: can one use 'glass' micro for filler??
From: GRAHAM SINGLETON <grahamsingleton@btinternet.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 09:31:21
Both are true, Expancell is lighter and easier to sand, especially if you
=0Alubricate the resin with Cabosil (colloidal silica) and increase the mic
ro to =0Aresin ratio. Check it out with a small sample. You'll be amazed ho
w much more =0AExpancell will mix into the same amount of resin. The silica
 seems to reduce the =0Asurface tension of the resin and makes it wet the b
alloons better.=0AGraham=0A=0A=0A=0A=0A________________________________=0AF
rom: keith hickling <keithhickling@clear.net.nz>=0ATo: europa-list@matronic
s.com=0ASent: Friday, 16 September, 2011 7:28:33=0ASubject: Europa-List: ca
n one use 'glass' micro for filler??=0A=0A =0AI seem to remember that Europ
a also said the thermoplastic filler is easier to =0Asand than the glass mi
crospheres (providing you get the mix right).=0A =0AKeith Hickling,=0A =0A-
----Original Message-----=0AFrom: owner-europa-list-server@matronics.com
=0A[mailto:owner-europa-list-server@matronics.com] On Behalf Of Alan Burril
l=0ASent:  Friday,  16 September 20115:32 p.m.=0ATo: europa-list@matronics.
com=0ASubject: Re: Europa-List: can one use 'glass' micro for filler??=0A
=0AI think the answer may be weight.=0A =0AThe glass version being heavier
than the thermoplastic.=0A =0AAlan=0A#0303=0AOn  15 Sep 2011 , at  23:27 ,
Greg Fuchs wrote:=0A=0A=0A =0A=0A =0AHello wonderful list,=0A =0AI just pur
chased 5 lbs of glass micro to be used for filling movable wing =0Asurfaces
. Having made some ding resistance and sanding tests with differing =0Aresi
n amounts, and to prove it is sandable (at least half as sandable, timewise
, =0Aas superfil...depending on amount of resin added) , I see that the man
ual =0Asuggests to use thermoplastic spheres instead of the glass ones. My
favorite =0Aaircraft mail supply shop does not seem to carry them. So I ask
...what is wrong =0Awith using standard Aeropoxy and glass micro?  I have n
o experience in filling =0Asurfaces so far,  so any help is appreciated.=0A