Europa-List: Radio wiring

Subject: Europa-List: Radio wiring
From: William Daniell <wdaniell@etb.net.co>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 12:50:02
A question for the assembled wisdom...do the PTT wires need to be shielded?

As I understand it the standard is a 3 core shielded wire for each headset

.         Audio:   white cores and shield/earth

.         Mic:   2 cores (red and blue)and earth/shield .  Until you
energize the mic by earthing it,  it is "off".  In order to activate the mic
you "energize" by earthing it through the operation of the PTT which
connects the mic to the earth/shield.

I am probably expressing this badly but do I have it more or less right?

Will