RE: Europa-List: Best way to store araldite 420 after opening the cam

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Best way to store araldite 420 after opening the cam
From: Greg Fuchs <gregoryf.flyboy@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2011 18:07:11

I don't have any scientific data for that, or for those higher temps, but
have gone years with the hardener only stored in a plastic polyethylene
squeeze bottle of the type that can be tightly capped when finished with the
job, to keep the air out. The exit spout for the hardener allows one to
finely control measurements during the weighing process, since it is a small
diameter. Think of the spout as being of the type that comes on a caulking
tube, with a cap on it. My Storage temperature is thermostatically regulated
to about 65-70 degrees (heater is just a light bulb, like others have done,
which works fine in the small area), except for a few months in the summer,
where it might see a little more.   The resin (the stuff that looks like
Lemon Meringue pie filling) is the only component I have seen degrade
(visually)...it can start to look a little gritty, but I think it can be
re-constituted by placing the can into a pot of water, and heating slowly..

With regards to the unopened stuff:
In the past, I have seen the shelf-life expiration date come close to 2
years out.
Lately, the expiration is only 6 months out, even on fresh batches, that
have just started their shelf life. That's too bad, since now the stuff is
twice as much :(
Not sure, but am thinking the manufacturer is covering their tail for the
product having been stored in the most extreme conditions, i.e..  Very High
or cold temps, etc  ...but my guess is that it will probaly store much
longer..

Greg

Picking up on the deterioration of the hardner - do you have data on that?
How many months?

Does anybody have a realistic idea how long unopened 420 is good for?
Stored at over 70f

Will