Europa-List: Electric winch or hand crank?

Subject: Europa-List: Electric winch or hand crank?
From: Martin Tuck <MJKTuck@cs.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 19:10:45

Hi Folks,

I think I asked this question before but I couldn't have kept the responses.

Someone recommended a electric powered winch to pull my monowheel onto
its trailer. I've read some reviews on Amazon but there are
diametrically opposed views on how good a job they do. The main
complaint being how slow they are or not very well built.

Ideally I would want one with a remote but I can't seem to find one with
a wireless remote, some have a wired remote but the cable seems too
short as I want to hold onto the wingtip to keep it level while the
winch does it's thing.

Alternatively I could keep it simple and use a hand crank - but the
wings will need to be kept level. I have made some attachments which
help some but once the tipping momentum gets going on side or the other
my hinged spring legs give way. You guys that use a trailer all time
must be using something. It takes me a good 30 mins to get everything up
on the trailer and seemingly a lot of physical strength - not good when
temps are in the 80s and 90s.

Also, when cranking what is the best thing to attach the cable to? Cable
round the axle on the side opposite to the brake came to mind. Not sure
I would want to pull on the tailwheel although that seems an obvious choice.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Not much flying this summer - we have had 45 days of 100+ F temps in
Wichita so far this year. The record is 50 days. Today was 106 deg F. Phew!

Regards,
Martin Tuck
N152MT
Wichita, Kansas