Re: Europa-List: Trial fitting cockpit module

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Trial fitting cockpit module
From: GRAHAM SINGLETON <grahamsingleton@btinternet.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 09:33:05
Andrew=0AI agree with your thinking Andrew, if I could make a suggestion, I
 would =0Arecommend also putting in the fuel system before the cockpit modu
le goes in. =0AEspecially if you are using solid aluminum (which I also rec
ommend) =0A=0AGraham=0A=0A=0A=0A=0A=0A________________________________=0AFr
om: Andrew Sarangan <asarangan@gmail.com>=0ATo: europa-list@matronics.com
=0ASent: Thursday, 18 August, 2011 5:32:23=0ASubject: Re: Europa-List: Tria
angan <asarangan@gmail.com>=0A=0AI think my question may have been misunder
stood. I realize the=0Aimportance of CM alignment to the fuselage. My quest
ion is, isn't this=0Aalignment best done after the control tubes and fuel t
ank are=0Ainstalled rather than on an empty CM? I was thinking that some=0A
deformations to the CM may creep in during the work, so drilling the=0Aalig
nment holes through the firewall may be best done when the CM is=0Anearly f
inished. Or, is the empty CM is significantly lighter and=0Ahence easier to
 align?=0A=0AWhat I often find confusing with the manual is that it says wh
at to=0Ado, but it doesn't say why. As a scientist, I hesitate to do someth
ing=0Auntil I understand why.=0A=0A=0A=0AOn Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 10:01 PM,
Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com> wrote:=0A> Andrew,=0A> Greg is right, the best
 way to a nice straight fuselage without an ill=0A> fitting or a crooked mo
dule, bonding voids, and clearance problems.  I have=0A> a plane in the sho
p now that when the stick was moved laterally, the CS=0A> 08 actually hit t
he bottom of the fuselage.  Another has a 1/4 inch dent in=0A> the fuselage
 side where the builder failed to properly align the module with=0A> the fu
selage and during bonding the clecos pulled the module down to the=0A> cano
e crooked and now he has a distorted fuselage.=0A>=0A> It is an airplane, i
f you don't trial fit and dry run through 5 times,=0A> you're doing it wron
g.  If you don't want to use nuts and bolts for clecos,=0A> then try #8 sel
f tapping screws but don't pull them down hard so as to=0A> dimple the skin
.=0A>=0A> Personally I use 1/8 inch US Clecos and when I go final I put in
the screws=0A> on the last dry run and final.  Just don't pull them down ha
rd and squeeze=0A> out all that expensive Redux, and leaving a permanent de
nt to be filled...=0A>=0A> By the way, the same applies to all the rest of
the plane.=0A>=0A> Happy building,=0A>=0A> Bud Yerly=0A>=0A>=0A> ----- Orig
inal Message -----=0A> From: Greg Fuchs=0A> To: europa-list@matronics.com
=0A> Sent: Wednesday, August 17, 2011 6:09 PM=0A> Subject: RE: Europa-List:
Fuchs "=0A> <gregoryf.flyboy@comcast.net>=0A>=0A>=0A> Andrew,=0A>=0A> I wen
t ahead and followed the manual with this. Fitting the cockpit module=0A> w
ith clecoes (small bolts 1/16" or so work well for this -the flanges in the
=0A> module are thick in the front) insures it is in its final resting posi
tion,=0A> level laterally with respect to the fuselage, and sucked up to th
e front. I=0A> remember during the fitting process, the need to re-install
the cockpit=0A> module (to check clearances with controls etc) numerous tim
es to verify all=0A> is good, and appreciated having finalized the position
ing. Only 2 - 4=0A> attachment points were needed for me, two in front arou
nd the tunnel bottom=0A> and maybe a few on the sides, rear-ward.=0A>=0A> H
ope that helps,=0A>=0A> Greg=0A>=0A> ___________________=0A>=0A> --> Europa
-List message posted by: Andrew Sarangan <asarangan@gmail.com>=0A>=0A> Is t
here a reason why chapter 11 (title: preparing the mouldings) calls for=0A>
 drilling cleco'ing the CM to the fuselage? Is this step not done best just
=0A> before the p;         Features Chat, http://www.matronnbsp;    via the
 Web=0A> title=http://forums.matronics.com/=0A> href="http://forums.mat
ronics.com">http://forums.matronics.com=0A> _p;         generous bsp;=0A> t
itle=http://www.matronics.com/contribution=0A>href="http://www.matronic