Europa-List: Re: Maximum All Up Weights

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Maximum All Up Weights
From: Remi Guerner <air.guerner@orange.fr>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 04:34:29

Hi Steve,

A few comments:

1. Regarding max take off weight: French registered homebuilts which are built
---From a kit are not allowed to deviate from max weights specified by the kit
manufacturer.
So there is no way we could exceed the 1370 lbs max weight of the
XS, unless the Factory (not the LAA) publish a relevant technical bulletin and
gets the weight increase approved by our DGAC.
2. Regarding max baggage load: the 80 lbs is questionable. Is it just an
indication
for those who do not want to make the balance calculation or is there an
actual structural reason?
In my XS mono with my wife as a passenger and full fuel, I can load up to 60 kgs
(130 lbs) of bags before exceeding the aft limit and still being below 1370
lbs.
3. Baggage arm: according to the XS manual, the arm for baggage is 88 inches. In
my opinion this figure is wrong. I consider the right arm to be around 94 inches
and does all my balance calculations using this figure.
4. Long range fuel tank:  with the long range tank full (mine takes 38 liters)
I can still load up to 30 kgs (80 lbs) of bags before exceeding the weight or
balance limits. Obviously fuel is not baggage, so I consider I am still legal
doing this, as I do not exceed the specified max baggage load.

I will pass over to you other comments I eventually collect.

Cheers
Remi

Read this topic online here: