RE: Europa-List: Vaccum pad alternator

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Vaccum pad alternator
From: William Daniell <wdaniell@etb.net.co>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 11:12:10

Frans

Thank you

Will

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-europa-list-server@matronics.com
[mailto:owner-europa-list-server@matronics.com] On Behalf Of Frans Veldman
Sent: 16 June, 2011 10:32

On 06/16/2011 03:02 PM, William Daniell wrote:
> Has anyone fitted a vacuum pad stand by alternator?

I have one. If you go that route, I would recommend you to split your
battery into two smaller ones, so you have two totally independent
electrical systems. This gives total redundancy, if you fry one system
you still have the other. Logically you have to distribute your
appliances wisely over the two independent buses to get the most out of
this redundancy.

Keep in mind though that this alternator on the Rotax starts generating
power only at 2500 rpm or above. below that it consumes 4 amps for the
field but doesn't produce anything in return. It really starts to come
alive at 3000 rpm or more.

Make sure to order the short version of this alternator. And note that
you can't use the Rotax factory shroud in combination with this alternator.

Frans