RE: Europa-List: Vaccum pad alternator

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Vaccum pad alternator
From: William Daniell <wdaniell@etb.net.co>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 11:10:57
Thanks Bob

From: owner-europa-list-server@matronics.com
[mailto:owner-europa-list-server@matronics.com] On Behalf Of Robert Borger
Sent: 16 June, 2011 08:49

William,

I have an alternator mounted to the vacuum pad.  It is supposed to be rated
around 40 amps but in this installation it probably is rpm limited to around
25 amps.  Nothing to sneeze at considering the Rotax alternator is rated at
15 amps and you don't want to run it at that output for very long.
Consequently, I use the vacuum pad alternator as my primary electrical
source for the aircraft.  Only 25 hours on it so far, but it as performed
flawlessly.

You can see pictures on my Europa Owners gallery.  Some overall pics of the
package under "Mods and other hardware things -- 2nd Alternator Kit."  This
kit was purchased from Flight Crafters (Bob & Russ) about a year after I
received the Europa Kit and I don't believe they sell these any more.

Looking at the specs for the B&C unit, I don't see why it wouldn't work just
as well as long as you have the accessory drive gear on your gearbox.  I
have used great quantities of B&C equipment on Little Toot Sport Biplanes I
have helped build in the past and I plan to use a lot of their equipment on
the Toot I am presently building for myself.

I'll be happy to dig up or take pictures of my installation if you would
like.

Blue skies & tailwinds,

Bob Borger

Europa Kit #A221 N914XL, XS Tri-Gear, Intercooled 914, Airmaster C/S Prop

http://www.europaowners.org/forums/gallery2.php?g2_itemId=60232

http://www.biplaneforumgallery.com/index.php?cat=10046

Europa Flying!

3705 Lynchburg Dr.