Re: Europa-List: Should top wing skin be simulated when bonding on wing-

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Should top wing skin be simulated when bonding on wing-profile
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 15 May 2011 19:20:52
Greg,
I find that measuring the wing skin thickness and using spacers to be
the idea way to set the wing incidence when using the incidence board.
You will notice that the wing skin has about a 1/4 inch of foam but that
foam ends before the root rib.  The skin is about 6 layers thick at the
root or about a popsicle stick.  The big thing is to get both wings the
same.  Get anal about it and use a good digital level, the same
incidence board, a spacer set about 2 inches in front of where the rear
pin goes, and I even hold the level with the digital screen facing the
same way at the same exact position on the incidence board.  Then,
before I glue it final,  I step back and check by eye, the lower skin of
each wing of the aircraft from behind to verify that the bottom of the
wings both are at the same angle.  See my website for trimming the
Europa.

Regards,

Bud Yerly
Europa Tech Support,