Re: Europa-List: Re: Racing Battery Lithium

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Racing Battery Lithium
From: Frans Veldman <frans@privatepilots.nl>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 08:23:45

On 05/12/2011 12:02 AM, Jan de Jong wrote:
> I know that LiCoO2, LiMn2O4 and Li(NiCo)O2 batteries are prone to
> catching fire and even exploding.
> I would be very interested in any evidence anywhere of LiFePO4 batteries
> catching fire or exploding.

Ok. When I was building the system these LiFeP04 batteries were just
starting to show up, but not suitable for airplane use yet for some
reason (I believe they have/had weird voltages). If they can withstand
unbalanced charging without exploding then of course it invalidates part
of my reservations.

Frans