Re: Europa-List: Racing Battery Lithium

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Racing Battery Lithium
From: Jan de Jong <jandejong@casema.nl>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 23:07:25
There was some discussion about LiFePO4 batteries very recently on the
Aeroelectric forum - see there. Bob Nuckols does not encourage.

The main possible problem seems to me that the 4 series cells do not
balance well.
The batteries are sold as "compatible with normal alternator operation"
but that is probably not all that true.
1. Charging voltage should be 14.5 or 14.6 V - not 13.8 V - for full
charge of all cells.
2. Severe imbalance can destroy the cell that reaches 100% SOC first
when the battery is charged .
3. There are balancing chargers for LiFePO4 batteries that can rebalance
cells offline.

I designed a "monitor and top-equalizer" (see attached) that would
probably allow me to use a LiFePO4 battery. Not first on my list yet.
I have been looking at the "Shorai" batteries (google). Prices in US$
reasonable

Jan de Jong
#461 (another 20 year project)