Europa-List: Racing Battery Lithium

Subject: Europa-List: Racing Battery Lithium
From: Richard Churchill-Coleman <richard.churchillcoleman@sky.com>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 21:17:33
Hi All

I've just come across a new Lithium battery for aircraft which is made
by
Racing Batteries (UK based) and being marketed by Skydrive UK
(advertised on
P31 of Light Aviation this month - RBA-300).  The price is slightly eye
watering (=A3200 for the current model which has about 300 cranking amps
and
about 5 Ah capacity) but the weight is phenomenal at 1.1kg, so that in
theory running two in parallel (or waiting for its more expensive big
brother that is on its way, apparently) would still result in huge
weight
savings over even the odyssey AGM-technology range.

I've had a quick chat with Skydrive UK and they say a handful of these
are
in use in UK in kit aircraft with Rotax four strokes, despite the low
capacity compared with the (Europa manual) recommended minimum capacity
of
17 Ah.  Does anyone know about or has seen any of these installations or
can
offer an opinion on whether (price aside) the battery would seem to be
adequate for our Europas?

Richard C-C
G-RPCC
Mono with 912S