Europa-List: Coolant airlock?

Subject: Europa-List: Coolant airlock?
From: Frans Veldman <frans@privatepilots.nl>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 20:15:04

Hi everyone,

After a few months of not flying and installation of a oil-to-water heat
exchanger, I experience unexpected cooling problems.
It is easy to blame the newly installed heat exchanger, but the same
heat exchanger works flawless for other builders.

The problem I have looks like insufficient coolant flow. Before I toss
out a system that seems to work for some others very well, I would like
to know if anyone has experienced improper coolant flow due to emptying
and refilling the coolant system.

If there is an airlock, will it survive loading on a trailer,
transportation to the airfield, a 6 minute test flight (in which the
water reached red line) and some boiling afterwards?

What is the proper way to get rid of an airlock and/or filling of the
coolant system?

There seems to be some coolant flow (so it is not a total pump
malfunction) but it looks like it is insufficient. The coolant heats up
slowly but the temp keeps increasing and never tops off.

Does anyone know of individual differences of cooling pump capacity of
the Rotax family of engines?

Frans