Re: Europa-List: Honda?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Honda?
From: Nic <scouttwo@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2011 12:37:27

- Craig

My 05 cbr1000rr longblock weighs 145 lbs w/ the full tranny.

FWF flying is less than 180 lbs.

Taking the final ratio down w/ the chain drive gives me 2750 prop rpm at
7000k in 6th, 8000k rpm in 5th and 9000k in 4th gear to, say 160 knots?

All the other gears share the wear on the way to 2750 prop rpm.

I know chain tech has doubled the strength and longevity since the eighties.

By using a much larger sprocket as the "small" sprocket, the chain never
really gets stressed like it would on the bike.

My concern is vibration from custom transmission arrangements.

I know they designed it to work complete.

The last two gears are 1:25 and 1:16 and should endure well.

My power take off is a quill shaft fwd to a remote spool holding the small
sprocket.

This also isolates the trans from side loads and clocksprings the prop a
little for a smoother ride.

- Your plan sounds awesome. I'm curious.

The crank normally runs on the clutch basket through gear teeth.

Does this imply you do not need a flywheel other than the alternator?

Imho, I would ask you to consider a chain drive for the damping it can
provide between the crank and the prop.

Some belts are have zero "give" and can transmit jerk viciously.

Also, chain is rather fire resistant.

Good luck restraining your power madness ... hahaha

Nic - a145xs