Re: Europa-List: Another request....! GPS

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Another request....! GPS
From: Robert Borger <rlborger@mac.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2011 17:53:21
Ferg,

Garmin has quite a number of units which output your needed $GPRMB
sentence.  Unfortunately, many of the smaller units (Colorado, Geko,
Foretrex) are discontinued.  But there many other units which output the
sentence.

I'd suggest you go to the Garmin Support site (
http://support.garmin.com/ ) and enter NMEA GPRMB into the "Search" box
in the upper right.  This provides a list of 106 hits.  Many of these
are hits on the same units but you should be able to sort out the
various devices and then look at them individually to see which may be
suitable for your task.

Trying to find a GPS unit by NMEA sentence output is a very difficult
way to search.  You might try other GPS vendors and see if a similar
search facility is available.

Good luck,
Bob Borger
Europa Kit #A221 N914XL, XS Tri-Gear, Intercooled 914, Airmaster C/S
Prop
http://www.europaowners.org/forums/gallery2.php?g2_itemId=60232
http://www.biplaneforumgallery.com/index.php?cat=10046
Europa Flying!
3705 Lynchburg Dr.
Corinth, TX  76208
Home:  940-497-2123
Cel:  817-992-1117

On Apr 23, 2011, at 16:49, Fergus Kyle wrote:

> Cheers,
>
>         In order to properly plan direct routes on GPS, for my
machine, one  needs a GPS receiver which spits out the usual NMEA
sentences plus $GPRMB ' the sentence which allows calculations for
waypoints. There are many small receivers useful for showing where you
are (autos, APRS, etc.) but which do not emit the above sentence. They
are profligate and sit in many cell-phones, i-this=92s and e-thats.

>         However, the Dynon EFIS stands proudly to perform its planning
magic ONLY when it can see $GPRMB. So far, all I can find are $$$$ units
and take up an ATR'standard space or so. No room.

> The question I humbly beg is:
>
> Is anyone aware of a GPS receiver of the miniature persuasion which
emits this magic sentence? I expect there is one, but don=92t know
where.