Re: Europa-List: The demise of AvGas

Subject: Re: Europa-List: The demise of AvGas
From: Frans Veldman <frans@privatepilots.nl>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 08:32:54

On 04/19/2011 07:44 AM, scouttwo wrote:

> I've heard that the availability is soon to be at risk here in the States.

You bet it is. (For this reason alone I would never invest in an engine
designed to run on AvGas.)

> The editor of Kitplanes magazine has proposed 100 octane unleaded for
> all motor use.

Skip this step; go straight to Diesel or propane. Talking about "higher
compression". In Europe octane 98 was once popular, but most gas engines
run on octane 95 these days. Here in the Netherlands about 1/3th of the
gas cars has been converted to run on propane (LPG), which has a natural
octane rating of 104, and is the cleanest fuel available. Another third
of the cars run on Diesel, allowing compression rates in the 20's. Now
we are talking about "higher compression". ;-)

> We should do it now before our Dear Leader prices AvGas out of existence
> because we are burning lead over an aquifer or some such thing.

There is indeed something unethical about spraying toxic lead over
someone else's property just for your own fun. Lead is banned for cars
for a good reason... so why selectively give some people the right to
use gas with a high lead content?

I would welcome a ban on AvGas. It will expedite the development of more
modern gas- and Diesel engines for aviation use.

Frans