Europa-List: Re:

Subject: Europa-List: Re:
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 11:18:52
Tony,
The Rotax can be kept quite simple as it is using Bing carbs and feeding
independent cylinders.

My recommendation for the Rotax is:
Two CHT on Cyl 1 and 3.  Just to monitor the temp extremes of coolest
and warmest.
Oil Temp and Pressure using the VDO senders on the Rotax.

Two 2 EGT on the back two cylinders.
    This helps determine if one carb is leaning or having problems vs
the other when troubleshooting the rough running engine.  It is not
necessary and I don't have them on mine as you can hear and feel if the
engine is out of balance.

If you use round VDO or Mitchell gauges you do not need to buy new CHT,
or Oil and temp/pressure senders. They work fine using the Rotax
senders.  To monitor EGT, just purchase the Westach clamp on probe for
the Rotax 912 or the bayonette type for the 914 since it has the bosses
welded in already...

If you install a Dynon or Grand Rapids or similar EFIS / Engine Monitor
system you must buy their probes for CHT and EGT .

Fuel pressure is a must for me as it an ammeter and voltmeter.  If you
use a constant speed prop a manifold pressure gauge is essential.

My basic round dial setupfor the 914 is TACH, MAN PRESS, OIL T, OIL P,
CHT #3 cyl (one), FUEL PRESS, AMPS&VOLTS (one one gauge by Westach).

Regards,
Bud