SV: Europa-List: trailer tie downs

Subject: SV: Europa-List: trailer tie downs
From: Sidsel & Svein Johnsen <sidsel.svein@oslo.online.no>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2011 12:00:56
Interesting topic!

There is no one "right" solution here, and I have no desire to defend my
main wheel clamps solution.   I will, however, add a few more thoughts:

Many tie-down solutions are OK for normal towing on a good or decent road.
But what happens if the trailer have a hard bounce, or even worse - what
happens if the trailer runs off the side of the road, or comes to an abrupt
stop because you have a collision, or somebody hits the trailer from behind
and jerks it forward?  Will hard bumps/sudden stops introduce shock loads
onto the tie-down or the fixing points on the aircraft, and will the
arrangement hold the aircraft in place at odd angles?

I shall not be judge of which arrangement is best, only point to the
following regarding the main wheel clamps:

-          The tie-downs are spread to the widest possible separation from
the centerline, i.e. best possible "capsizing" stability.

-          The inflated main wheels transfer the tie-down loads, i.e.
reduces shock loads.

Regardless of arrangement, the tie-downs must be very well anchored to the
trailer - not only to the trailer deck of plywood or aluminum sheet, but to
the carrying structure of the trailer.

Regards,

Svein