Europa-List: Re: Icing: 912S versus 912

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Icing: 912S versus 912
From: jpg12305 <jpg.comm@laposte.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 14:14:01

Bonjour Jean-Philippe,

This could be a good bar discussion, fueled by liters of beer...

What is strange here is that flight conditions were apparently not suited for a
significant risk of icing.
Negative OAT and 8C difference with DP makes a quite dry atmosphere. There could
have been anyway a layer close to saturation in altitude, but I am pretty sure
that in the 125h flight hours life of the engine, real potential carb icing
conditions have been encountered apparently without issue.
The rough running could have been related to something else.

I share your question about why 912S may be more prone to carb icing. One reason
of temperature drop in the carb is fuel vaporisation. The higher fuel flow of
the 912S may let think about more risk of icing? And to my level of knowledge
of CV carburettors, this means a higher depression around the diffuser lowering
temperature there as well. Open discussion.....

Anyway I stopped worrying about all that two months ago by installing the
Skydrive
carb heat kit. My peace of mind increased a bit.....

Jean-Paul
Europa 332
LFEF

Read this topic online here: