RE: Europa-List: Need help with removal of landing gear frame

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Need help with removal of landing gear frame
From: Peter Jeffers <pjeffers@talktalk.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 15:15:07

Hi Luc,

The greenish cement is indeed Redux with added Flox.  The only practical way
to soften it is to use heat, preferably from a hot air gun.  Be careful not
to allow to much heat to get into the surrounding fibre glass.  Masking
using two or three layers of un resined Bid is quite a good way to achieve
this.
It is at least a two person job, one heating and one using appropriate
percussive force to break each of the four bonds in turn. The first one is
the most difficult.
I guess there was no need to suggest removing the bolts first.
It is not a nice job and I would prefer not to try it at all unless you are
really sure it is necessary.  In the early days of classic europas we all
had to change our U/C frames due to a re design. It was not fun.

Pete Jeffers  Europa Club LAA Inspector