Re: Europa-List: Mnowheel to tri-gear conversion

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Mnowheel to tri-gear conversion
From: Robert Borger <rlborger@mac.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 08:53:59
Michel,

I have been traveling much.  Home from Florida on the 16th.  Unloaded the
aircraft
into my hanger, went home and washed everything in my suitcase and repacked
for Rough River.  Awake at 0430 on the 17th to depart for RR at 0500.  Returned
---From RR on the 19th.  Washed everything in the suitcase and repacked for a
week trip to Ruidoso, New Mexico.  Awake at 0700 on the 20th to depart for
Ruidoso
at 0730.  Returned home late on the 26th and have been trying to catch up
on everything after being away a month.

I have about 500 MB of photos from the Tri-Gear conversion and repairs to the
wings.
Also a few other odd pics taken during the trip to Custom Flight Creations.
I can put these all on a DVD and mail or ship to you if that's OK with you.
All the photos are in time sequence so they should follow reasonably well.
I'll be happy to answer questions on any of the pics.

If you would like me to ship the DVD simply provide your mailing address and
I'll
have it out tomorrow.

Till then, here are a couple small pics of the final work:

It required 10 straight days of work to get to this point, where both main gear
legs sockets and gear legs were completely installed.

This is not a trivial conversion.  It requires ensuring the landing gear sockets
are properly aligned with the airframe to ensure the main wheels track properly
and are placed properly with respect to the airframe and CG.

But the result is an aircraft that has MUCH greater utility and tolerance to
cross-wind
conditions.

I still need to take pictures of the flap drive motor installation and final
brake
master cylinder installation.

Work remaining on my aircraft is -
1.  completion of the wing repairs:  install new outer flap brackets, install
new
pitot/static tube, repair transport damage to ailerons & rudder,
fill/sand/paint.
2.  completion of the brake system:  install master brake cylinders, install
brake
reservoir, run brake lines, make and install a bottom cover (old monowheel
hole), fill and bleed brakes.
3.  completion of the flap drive system:  Flap alignment, install switch and run
electrical wires.
4.  completion of the firewall forward, again:  oil and water coolers, cooling
tunnel, oil reservoir, baffles, etc...
5.  completion of the speed kit:  Install wheel pants, landing gear leg
fairings,
flap bracket fairings.

Best regards,
Bob Borger
Europa Kit #A221 N914XL, XS Mono, Intercooled 914, Airmaster C/S
http://www.europaowners.org/forums/gallery2.php?g2_itemId=60232
http://www.biplaneforumgallery.com/index.php?cat=10046
Europa Flying!
3705 Lynchburg Dr.