RE: Europa-List: FW: Bing Carb Checks ----- FAA investigated fatal accid

Subject: RE: Europa-List: FW: Bing Carb Checks ----- FAA investigated fatal accident..
From: Robert C Harrison <ptag.dev@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 10:15:57

Hi! Fred.
Let's get it straight ...In no way was I furthering my now long forgotten
bad dream against Jabiru I was just trying to add a real time dimension to
the FAA investigation ....of course their corrosion findings should be given
every credence. My contribution was also to further an added safety
dimension concerning the damn carb bowl pressure balance pipe and its
correct place of termination because I recognize that the symptoms the
unfortunate soul encountered in the air were not unlike my experience on the
ground.
Yes...I must have been "wet behind the ears" to do what I did but I repeat
there was no mention of the pipe in my original copy of the installation
manual and that appertained to Engine No 004! What I should have done was
ask questions as to the correct installation position and then I would
probably have sparked the correct message being addressed by their manual
earlier. I take it you haven't noticed that new oil added can bugger off
down the breather pipe?
My sole concern here was that it may be the case that the accident aircraft
had this deficiency and it may have been missed by the FAA in their after
the event investigation but more importantly other operators may be flying
an incorrect installation oblivious as to the imminent possibility of engine
failure.
OK Rotax installations may have two locations for corrosion to develop, so
what, at least they have issued an SB on the matter I'm concerned with.
If you don't like what I said then that's your prerogative but ignore it at
your peril, but now even you won't do that so I've achieved something !
I rest my case with a clear conscience.
Regards to all
Bob Harrison G-PTAG