Re: Europa-List: Fuel sight gauge

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Fuel sight gauge
From: Fred Klein <fklein@orcasonline.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 22:31:21
> What is the state of current thinking regarding the sight gauge?

        Creighton,

        I suspect you'll find a number of favored alternatives to the
location called for in the build manual w/ no consensus on a
particular one. I'd heard that shortcomings of the standard location
include inability to read it when refueling or in flight, and a
general aversion to creating a potential puddle at the feet of the
pilot.

> Between the seats or forward?

        I placed my between the seats....photo below.

> What materials?

        I used some rigid plastic pipe sold by Acft Spruce as sight gauge
material, and run flex tubing across the "shelf" and into the stbd
raised back rest where it presently sits (coiled) and will ultimately
be run to vent into the top of the "cobra". If I were to do it over
again, I'd find some proper mounting brackets and run flex tubing
continuous thus eliminating all joints.

> Any floating balls to increase readability?

        I made some short (1/4") cylinders of flox and painted them yellow
with acft dope...tests for durability were satisfactory (sitting in a
cup of fuel for several months)...one sits in the bottom of the sight
gauge tube awaiting completion of the airframe and filling of the tank.

> Plumbing tips?

        Think it through before doing anything.

        Hope this helps,

        Fred