Europa-List: Re: Fuel system bits and bobs

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Fuel system bits and bobs
From: bmoorhouse <barrymoorhouse@btinternet.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2010 04:42:58

RichardTobin wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> 3     Replacement fuel hose. I have been searching and reading through many
> postings
on this list for a recommendation on the hose to use. We would like to use
a hose that reduces as much as possible the petrol smell and gives as long a
service life as possible. I have read gates R9 hose is good but can`t find a
European
supplier.   Also a recommendation for the clips to use would be welcome.
In our existing system jubilee clips have been used and in a couple of places
the band that has passed through the worm drive has  cut into nearby hose.

> The Aircraft is LAA registered.
>
> Many thanks
>
> Richard
>
> G-OSJN XS 914

Before my last Permit inspection I had a strong smell of fuel and it was because
of the appalling condition of the fuel hoses (not fitted by me I hasten to add)
which were "weeping" fuel. The LAA Inspector (Pete Jeffers) immediately spotted
the problem and requested that I chnage the fuel haoses a.s.a.p.

It was quit a sobering moment when I got some of the old fuel hose off - it was
steel braid covered and after stripping back the braiding the rubber hose inside
had cracks about every 2 mm - some of them full depth. It made me shudder
to think that these hose were running over the top of the electric pumps - one
little spark ....

I got the replacement hose from Europa themselves and although the removal and
fitting was a an awkward job (mainly due to access into all the little nooks &
crannies) it is not technically difficult. It was not too expensive (from memory
about 100 for all the required hoses.

My only problem was sourcing the reducers from the electric pumps (I have a 914
so 2 electric pumps) from 12mm hose to 8mm hose I finally got metal reducers
(the previous ones were horrible plastic things) after a bit of digging round
the web using good old Google.

A little tip - replace each fuel hose one at a time - this reduces any possible
misconnections and do not overtighten the clips.

--------
Barry Moorhouse
G-JHYS Trigear XS
Rotax 914 UL