Re: Europa-List: EIS problem identified

Subject: Re: Europa-List: EIS problem identified
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2010 18:29:56
Karl,
I have gone through 4 EIS CHT probes in 5 different aircraft.  They are
a bit flimsy in my opinion.  That unwanted opinion forwarded, I have
always found it wise to replace the CHT ring.  Write to Sandy at Grand
Rapids and they may even send you one at a significant discount.  The
VDO probe sensor (single wire) is Rotax proprietary (because of the
thread) and is swapped with any of the other VDO probes for testing.
The two wire probes (the CHT ring that is held in place by the VDO
sensor tight against the head) I believe is a type J thermocouple.  As
the ring heats, the resistance in the probe changes (magic) and is read
by the magic box.  If the ring shorts, it sends improper voltage back to
the EIS and the box is very unhappy.

I am confused at your pin 4 comment, as as that is Red CHT #5 from the
thermocouple.  #19 on the other plug is your water temp sensor wire.

It is amazing what one bad voltage input will do to our magic black
boxes.

Hope I am not confusing you.

Bud