RE: Europa-List: ELSA

Subject: RE: Europa-List: ELSA
From: Jerry Rehn <rehn@rockisland.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 16:20:28
Fred

I don't think you can from what I read. The criteria call, as I'm sure you
know, for a fixed or ground adjustable prop and in addition to other items
includes 660lbs max take off wgt. That would be a tough one to meet, weight
zealot or not. I also read the following: Here is a recent statement issued
by members of the ASTM committee for Light Sport Aircraft that should give
us all pause:

"Light-sport aircraft means an aircraft, other than a helicopter or
powered-lift that, since its original certification, has continued to meet
the following:[deletia]9 see definition in part 1 FAR page5)

This verbiage clearly says that an aircraft must meet all the criteria
called out in the definition of an LSA at the time of its original
certification AND CONTINUOUSLY thereafter.

If you fly just once out of criteria it cannot be an LSA.

Tough language!

Fred, you don't want to go that slow anyway!

Jerry

  _____