Re: Europa-List: Inquiry into getting some Flight time in a Europa Monow

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Inquiry into getting some Flight time in a Europa Monowheel
From: acrojim@cfl.rr.com
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 07:54:07

Jeff, before you start flying the monowheel, get as much taildragger time as
possible...
The Europa is a very well balanced airplane and very easy to fly in
the air. BUT the monowheel can be a handful when landing. Especially for a pilot
who has no taildragger time.

Take a look at your outriggers, if one outrigger is off the ground when parked,
then, when you land, the plane will roll from side to side on the outriggers.
This will give the impression that the plane is turning, when its not..It's not
a major problem,but you need to be aware of what is happing during the roll
out. Once you are on "short final" start looking toward the end of the runway,
because once the main wheel touches down, the outriggers will still be above
the runway, and the plane will start to rock from side to side. This will give
the impression that the plane is turning. Your sight picture looking toward
the end of the runway will tell you that the plane is ok, or that a turn is
starting.
As I said, "Get all the taildragger time you can before the first flight....

I live in central Florida, I'm not an instructor, but I'll be happy to give you
a ride in the monowheel. I'm located at the Leesburg airport "KLEE" . I'm
retired,
so almost anytime is good for me..

Jim Brown
N398JB

---- Jeffrey J Paris <jeffrey-j-paris@excite.com> wrote:
> Dear Europhiles,The time is getting close in regards to "fledging" our Europa
Classic Kit #A012 Tail # N127ZP. Other than a few punch list items, a thorough
weight and Balance followed by our DAR inspection our Bird is ready to go. With
that in mind, I am inquiring about the possibility of getting some flying
time in a monowheel configured Europa.I live in Rochester, NY and if there was
somebody with a flying monowheel within a reasonable traveling distance I would
love to work out any details in regards to the aforementioned request. If your
a CFI with a monowheel that would be all too perfect, however, even some right
seat time as a passenger would be helpful as well. It would just be nice
to pick a builder/flyers brains on all things Europa monowheel if you know what
I mean.Thanks for your time and consideration.Cheers,Jeff Paris Europa Classic
Monowheel powered by a Jabiru 3300/Dynon D180/ Monroy CAS/ Lorance Airmap/
Garmin X-ponder/ Icom Radio.