RE: Europa-List: cm to fuselage reinforcement

Subject: RE: Europa-List: cm to fuselage reinforcement
From: Greg Fuchs <gregoryf.flyboy@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2010 09:24:38

Hi Rowland,

I remember scratching my head there too, and for the same reason. Not sure
what others did, but I can report on my version of what the manual meant to
say.

In the front, I only used the plies at the top and sides of the tunnel only,
not at the rudder pedal flanges (only 3 areas of ply).  The lower end of the
side re-enforcement plies, stopped at the start of the upper part of the
rudder pedal flange.

In the Rear, they were kept transverse, and the bid strips stopped at the
corner before entering into the tunnel, though it would only add strength at
a slight weight penalty.

I assumed the manual meant 1" overlap in the rear as well, though mine were
a bit over 1" overlap, to clear the flox corner.

Regards,
Greg
--> <rowlandcarson@gmail.com>

So is the BID reinforcement required only around the 3 edges of the tunnel,
or out across the footwells too?

Next, the BID strips at the rear of the cockpit module. I assume they just
go transverse, and are not taken around the corner into the central tunnel.
The build manual (p17-6) does not say how wide these strips should be, but I
assume that a 1" (25mm) overlap on each surface, as for the CM-to-firewall
strips, is OK....

in friendship

Rowland