Europa-List: cm to fuselage reinforcement

Subject: Europa-List: cm to fuselage reinforcement
From: Rowland Carson <rowlandcarson@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2010 13:53:38

The manual calls for BID reinforcement of the
joint between the cockpit module and the firewall:

"Scuff sand the firewall and the cockpit module's
flanges abutting the firewall in preparation for
bonding. Lay-up three plies of 'bid' at +/-45,
lapping a minimum of 2.5 cm (1") onto each part. "

It doesn't seem clear to me whether the areas to
be reinforced include the bottom edge of the
forward face of the rudder-pedal support flange
as well as around the sides and top of the
tunnel. It could be argued that the forward face
of the rudder pedal support flange is abutting
the firewall but I would have expected an
explicit call-out of that.

So is the BID reinforcement required only around
the 3 edges of the tunnel, or out across the
footwells too?

Next, the BID strips at the rear of the cockpit
module. I assume they just go transverse, and are
not taken around the corner into the central
tunnel. The build manual (p17-6) does not say how
wide these strips should be, but I assume that a
1" (25mm) overlap on each surface, as for the
CM-to-firewall strips, is OK.

I'm asking these questions here because
Kirkbymoorside doesn't seem well-set-up to deal
with technical queries as present.

in friendship

Rowland